|This 28ft Halcyon was built around 1904 as a
gaff cutter by Paynters of St Ives, she is now gaff ketch rigged, and has a
history which relates her to two other Halcyons, the 90ft yacht currently
operated by Halcyon Yacht
Charter and the 30ft half decked
Halcyon of 1912 which is also with us for restoration.
Having been in storage for some time, Halcyon
is undergoing restoration at our Southdown yard.
She has been fitted with a new stem and
forefoot, a number of steamed oak timbers are being replaced and most of the
planking below the waterline is being renewed including both garboards
along with several topside strakes.
The counter tip and horn timbers will also be replaced.
Originally Halcyon was built with a cast
bronze centre plate, which was removed in the 1930s, and is now apparently
in use as ground tackle off St Mary's in the Isles of Scilly, to make room for the
installation of an engine. We have opened up the slot in the keel, which
was filled with lime morter, and will install a new case to accept a steel
Click on pictures for full size views